Thursday, October 8, 2009

Happy Ending(s)?

As I mentioned a few entries ago, one of our monks donated stem cells that were then 'coaxed' into becoming bone marrow for his stricken brother. The procedure normally takes 4-6 weeks of isolation on the part of the recipient. Somehow, this time frame was whittled down to 1 week because, it seems, the acceptance of these stem cells has been miraculously smooth. What I find interesting is that the doctor who explained the procedure to us called them "magic cells" if they worked. She went on to say that there is no scientific explanation as to why this happens, hence, the simplistic language. At this point, the words "magic" and "miracle" seem appropo. If havesting certain white cells from one body and then "coaxing them" into becoming bone marrow cells for another body actually works....I guess I don't care what you call it. All I can say is "Wow."

At school, we have hit the peak of our bout with the flu. Because no one is really being tested for H1N1 it is hard to say what kept nearly 20% of kids out of school yesterday (including me!) but there were fewer absentees today and I'm being assured that we are on the rebound.